August 29, 2005

Reactions to Anthrax Vaccine

Potentially Fatal Shot Comes From Syringe, Not a Rifle
By Helen Barrett

He had a choice.

Take the anthrax vaccine as ordered by his commanders or face Court

Despite reservations, E-4 Kent Stewart of the Oklahoma National Guard,
HHB 45th, Field Artillery Brigade rolled up his sleeve and obeyed.

"I felt the shots weren't going to be doing any good," he said. "I
didn't personally think there was that big a threat."

Stewart and the rest of his company received their activation orders
February 14, 2003.

Five days later the first of a series of six vaccinations including the
anthrax and smallpox vaccines started the unit's preparation for
deployment to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Stewart had heard rumors of adverse reactions to the vaccines resulting
in a reluctance to take the shots.

To refuse would result in a dishonorable discharge or a bad conduct
dismissal his superiors told him.

Almost immediately after taking the first round of vaccines, Stewart
began experiencing severe headaches.

On March 15 he received the second series of shots. The third series
followed April 4.

Dizziness, tingling on the left side of his face, in his hands and legs,
and attitude changes manifested themselves.

On May 27, ready to board the train for deployment from Ft. Sill in
Lawton, the unit received notice their orders had been canceled.

Stewart received his fourth round of the vaccine on December 7, 2003.

Vomiting, weight loss, insomnia, and other symptoms started.

During the summer of 2004, Stewart suffered a pancreatic attack. Tests
to determine his problem began. Each episode required treatment with
antibiotics and other medications to ease the symptoms.

On Aug. 15, 2004, he received his fifth (and last) immunization.

His condition worsened until he was hospitalized Nov. 22, and placed on
intravenous antibiotics for a week. Two days after his release the
condition returned. His family physician referred him to Dr. Dilling, an
ear-nose-throat specialist in Enid.

Realizing this was not a problem involving his speciality, Dr. Dilling
referred Stewart to Dr. Rietz, a neurologist.

A battery of tests including a lumbar puncture, MRI, and extensive blood
tests were performed. After obtaining the results, Reitz referred
Stewart to Dr. Tarek Neguib, M.D. who specializes in immunology.

More tests followed.

In his official report dated March 28 of this year, Dr. Naguib listed
his medical impression as:

1. Immunoglobulin A deficiency

2. Immunodeficiency due to #1

3. Multiple neurological manifestations with no structural disease on
imaging and no infections etiology on work up. Suggestive of probable
immunologic reaction to vaccination.

Dr. Naguib further stated, "The patient has a history of anthrax
vaccination series 5 out of 6 doses among other vaccinations that
preceded the evolution of symptoms in this previously healthy
37-year-old male. Makes vaccines a suspect etiology for this unusual


Stewart's records were sent to a physician at Vance Air Force Base who
referred him to a hematologist.

To date government sources have not offered any solutions or assistance.

The family contacted a JAG officer. They were told the State of Oklahoma
had approved help but the Surgeon General's office denied the request.

Unable to work because of his compromised immune system and continual
illness, the Stewart family faces foreclosure on their home in addition
to mounting medical costs.


Stewart is not the first soldier to report illness after taking the
anthrax vaccinations.

A recent story reported by Knight Ridder Newspapers' writer David
Goldstein, 16 people died between 1990 and 2004, after taking the
vaccine. Goldstein cited the government's Vaccine Adverse Event
Reporting System as his information source.

Most suffered heart, lung and immune system problems as well as cancer.

All but five died within three months of their sixth vaccination. Nearly
4,500 other recipients reported having medical reactions with nearly 8
percent listed as "serious," meaning the problems were life-threatening,
required hospitalization or resulted in a major disability.

A Maine internist and leading critic of the vaccine, Meryl Nass, says
the military turned "a blind eye" to the risks.

"The people who become disabled more often than not have multiple
diagnoses . . . their bodies are not doing what they're supposed to be
doing," Nass said.

Beginning two months ago, the military policy changed from making the
anthrax vaccinations mandatory to voluntary.

Since the policy changed, half the military and civilian Defense
Department personnel asked to take the shots have declined.


Almost from the beginning the anthrax vaccine has been controversial.

The FDA licensed it in 1970 but only for anthrax exposure through the
skin because the disease was largely confined to the livestock industry.

"They are still testing the serum to see if it works or doesn't work,"
Stewart says. "They tested it in the 70s and people still got anthrax."

FDA Warning Letters were sent to the manufacturer in 1995 and 1997
threatening to revoke their license. The Gulf War Vets website says an
FDA report documented 84 quality control and procedure violations by the

"We talked to the main immunization place in Washington and they told
Kent not to take the human immunoglobulin shots because it would
probably kill him," Stewart's wife Lisa said.

Meanwhile, the Stewarts feel helpless.

"The military hasn't sent him to any of their specialists," Lisa said.
"We feel like they've dropped the ball."

Stewart made the choice to serve his country.

He even knew that choice might involve making the ultimate sacrifice.

He just never expected the potentially fatal shot to come from a syringe
instead of a rifle.

No comments: