September 10, 2005

Flicker Of Light

From my friend Kel:

Ginger,

I have started a website for the Katrina Survivors called www.flicker-of-light.com. The purpose of this site is to reunite the missing family members, pen pals, and for folks to go to great links that can help.

Yesterday I went and talked to the survivors one on one, and most of them were telling me they're hopeless in finding their family members. So I started to take names of the missing, and my pen pal club has now become a missing persons board too!

In less than 24 hours I have reunited a 71 year old woman with her son, daughter in law and 3 grandaughters the youngest being 1 month old. When one of her grand babies called me today from Houston. She had told me that they all thought for sure that she had died in the flood as she didn't want to leave her home. The story she told me was a living hell. So I feel blessed that I was able to help her out so much.

I have been contacted by State organizations that are going to be getting the message out there about Flicker of Light. So if you have any links to put on there I would much appreciate that.

I just want to get the word out and I thank you for listening.

Kel
Coyote Blog has made observations about the differences between the top-down and the bottom-up efforts to help Katrina Victims. In my view, it is the bottom-up stories that are the most beautiful.

No comments: